Auto Boat Home & RV

Cal Liberty Insurance has been providing affordable car insurance for California drivers since 2007. From our beginnings in Sacramento, Cal Liberty Insurance currently has 2 offices in Northern CA and clients across Northern, Southern and Central California.

General California Insurance Guidelines


Do I Need Auto Insurance to drive in California?

Yes, financial responsibility (commonly known as insurance) is required on all vehicles operated or parked on California roadways. California state law requires that all drivers have liability coverage.

You must carry evidence of financial responsibility in your vehicle at all times and it must be provided as specified below when:
  • Requested by law enforcement.
  • Renewing vehicle registration.
  • The vehicle is involved in a traffic collision.
  • Insurance companies in California are required by law (California Vehicle Code (CVC) §16058) to electronically report private-use vehicle insurance information to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). Insurance companies are exempt from electronically reporting insurance information for vehicles covered by commercial or business insurance policies.

Liability insurance pays for damages or injuries that you cause in a car accident, up to the amount of coverage you have.

What Are the Minimum Liability Insurance Requirements for Private Passenger Vehicles (California Insurance Code §11580.1b)?

The State of California minimum liability amounts are as follows:

$15,000 bodily injury or death per person.
$30,000 bodily injury or death to more than one person.
$5,000 total property damage per accident.
Liability insurance pays a person other than the policy holder for personal injury or property damage. Having comprehensive or collision insurance does not meet vehicle financial responsibility requirements.

DUI violations – SR-22 Requirements for California

What is an SR-22?

After receiving a traffic citation, you may also be required to obtain an SR-22 certification (also known as SR-22 insurance or proof of future financial responsibility) from your auto insurance carrier.

Who needs an SR-22?

You are most likely to be required to file an SR-22 if:

You are convicted of a DUI.
You are found to be driving while uninsured.
You are involved in a serious injury-causing accident.
You have an excessive number of points on your driving record.
Often, an SR-22 is required for reinstatement of a suspended or revoked license. Your state’s Department of Motor Vehicles will inform you if you need to file an SR-22.